I went shopping the other day at a little specialty grocery store called, Meiers Meats & Fine Foods, in Highland, Utah. They always have such fun little treats, cookies, breads, and cute gift ideas…as well as wonderful meats!
I picked up a bag of mini cinnamon chips and just could not wait to try them out in some cookies! You can buy cinnamon chips at most groceries stores in the baking aisle by the chocolate chips.
I tried these out on my husband, who was skeptical at first, and then ended up loving them. Then I tried them out on a granddaughter that thinks there in nothing better than a Snickerdoodle cookie and she also was hooked on these!
This recipe is from On Sugar Mountain and it has the addition of cornstarch, which she says will keep your cookies soft and fresh for a longer time. I don’t know if that is true because these cookies did not last long enough to find out! :)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup cinnamon chips (I used mini chips)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon.
- 2. In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl) beat butter and both sugars for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well incorporated, then slowly mix in flour mixture until dough comes together. Fold in cinnamon chips.
- 3. Scoop out rounded tablespoons of dough and place at least 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown, then remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
These are perfect for an after school snack or a late night snack! :) They are soft and chewy with just the right amount of cinnamon! These would be perfect for an Easter Picnic!Try these out on your family this weekend…it may just become one of your favorites too!
I hope that you have a great weekend. We are going to be doing our Easter Party/dinner this weekend because we have some that are going to be out of town next weekend. So you know what I’ll be doing…getting ready for our annual Easter Egg hunt and dinner! Wish me luck!